Language of the Half Term
Our language of the half term is Turkish, we will be encouraging pupils to use simple Turkish phrases and greetings throughout this half term.
Turkish is the official language of Turkey and one of the official languages of Cyprus. It is spoken by about 60 million people in Turkey and another million in Bulgaria, Greece, Cyprus, and Macedonia.
See below for some simple English to Turkish translations along with our language of the Tem video.
- Welcome - Hoşgeldiniz
- Hello - Merhaba
- Goodbye - Hoşçakalın
- Good morning - Günaydın
- Good afternoon - İyi günler
- Thank you - Teşekkür ederim
- Sorry - Özür dilerim
- Please - Lütfen
- Yes - Evet
- No - Hayır
- Come here - Buraya gel
- Well done - Aferin
To run alongside our Language of the Half Term videos we are also using displays around the school to encourage use of the current language of the Half term.
Reading with your Child: a Booklet for Parents
We all know reading with your child is important, and that sharing a book together is a fantastic way to bond. However, sometimes it's not always clear where or how to start.
Our Reading with your Child booklet for parents is available to download on our website. It contains loads of tips on what books to choose, and how you can make reading a time for closeness, laughing and talking together. If English isn't your native tongue, our booklets are also available in 26 different languages. Booktrust.org.uk
Language support will be coming soon and will include links to ESOL courses and other handy language resources.
Language of the Term - Yoruba
The language of the Summer Term 2018 was Yoruba, we will be encouraged pupils to use simple Yoruba phrases and greetings throughout the term.
See the commonly used words and phrases we will be encouraging staff and children to use below as well as a video of pupils translating some of these words and phrases for us.
- Good morning! - Ek'aro
- Good morning! - K'aro
- Good afternoon! - Ek'asan
- Good evening! - Ek'ale
- Welcome! - Ek'abo
- Hello my friend! - Bawoni
- I'm fine - Mowa dada
- Thank you! - Ese
- And you? (friendly) - Iwo na nko
- And you? (polite) - Eyin nko
- Good - Odara or Dada
- Not so good - O baje
- Thank you (very much)! - Ese gan
- Have a nice day! - Od'igba
- Good night! - Od'aro
- Good bye! - Od'abo
Language of the Half Term - Chinese
Our language of the Spring 1 half term 2018 was Chinese, pupils were encouraged to use simple Chinese phrases and greetings throughout the half term.
- Hello - Nǐhǎo (Nee how)
- Thank you - Xièxiè (Shieh-shieh)
- You’re welcome - Bù kèqì (Boo kuh-chi)
- Good morning - Zǎo (Zhow)
- Goodnight - Wǎn'ān (One-un)
- My name is… - Wǒ jiào... (Wuh jeow...)
- My friend’s name is... - Wǒ de péngyǒu jiào… (Wuh duh pung-yo jeow...)
- Very beautiful - Hĕn piàoliang (Hen peow-liung)
- I don't understand - Wǒ bù dǒng (Wuh boo dong)
- Good - Hǎo (How)
- Bad - Bù hǎo (Boo-how)
- Today - Jīntiān (Jeen-tian)
- Tomorrow - Míngtiān (Meeng-tian)
- Yesterday - Zuótiān (Zwuh-tian)
- Goodbye - Zàijiàn (Zhai-jian)
Language of the Half Term - French
Our language of the Autumn 2 half term 2017 was French, pupils were encouraged to use simple French phrases and greetings throughout the half term.
- Bonjour - Hello.
- Je m'appelle... - My name is...
- Comment vous appelez vous? - What is your name?
- Je ne comprends pas - I don't understand
- Merci - Thank you.
- Excusez-moi - Excuse me
- Ça va? - How are you? or Comment allez-vous? - How are you?
- Je suis de... - I am from...
- Je voudrais... - I would like...
- Salut! - Hi! / Bye! (informal)
- Où est-ce que se trouve...? - Where is...?
- Yes - Qui
- Non - No
- D'accord - Okay
- Je ne comprends pas - I don't understand.
- Avez-vous... - Do you have...
- Parlez-vous anglais? - Do you speak English?
Language of the Half Term - Romanian
Our language of the Autumn 1 half term 2017 was Romanian, pupils were encouraged to use simple Romanian phrases and greetings throughout the half term.
- Welcome - Bine ai venit
- Hello - Salut
- How are you? - Ce mai faci?
- What's your name? - Cum vă numiți?
- My name is ... - Mă numesc ...
- Sorry - Pardon!
- Please - Scuze
- Thank you - Mersi
- Good morning - Bună dimineața
- Good afternoon - Bună ziua
- Good evening - Bună seara
- Good night - Noapte bună
- Goodbye - La revedere
- Excuse me - Scuzați-mă!
- Yes - Da
- No - No
Language of the Half Term - Arabic
Our language of the Summer 2 half term 2017 was Arabic, pupils were encouraged to use simple Arabic phrases and greetings throughout the half term.
- Hello - Marhabaan
- Goodbye - Ila al-liqaa
- Good morning - Sabah alkher
- Good afternoon - Masah Alkher
- Thank you - Shokran
- Please - Min fatluk
- Sorry - Assif
- Yes - Naum
- No - Laa
- Come here - Tahal ela huna
- Well done - Ahssent
- What is your name? - Ma hoa asmok?
- My name is... - Ana ismie...
- How are you - Kaifa halook
- I'm fine - Ana bekheer
Our language of Summer 1 half term 2017 was Albanian, pupils were encouraged to use simple Albanian phrases and greetings throughout the half term.
- Hello -Halo!
- Goodbye - Mirupafshim!
- Good morning -Miremengjes
- Good afternoon Mirembrema
- Thank you -Faleminderit
- Please - Lutem
- Sorry - Më fal
- Yes - Po
- No - Jo
- Come here- Eja ketu
- Well done - Të lumtë
- What is your name? - Si e ke emrin
- My name is - Unë quhem
- How are you? - Si jeni?
- I’m fine - Une jam mire
- Thank you - Faleminderit
Our language of Spring 2 half term 2017 was Italian, pupils were encouraged to use simple Italian phrases and greetings throughout the half term.
- Good morning - Buongiorno
- Good afternoon - Buon Pomeriggio
- Good night - Buona notte
- What is your name? - Come ti chiami?
- My name is .... - Mi chiamo ....
- Yes - Si
- No - No
- Please - Per favore or Ti priego
- Thank you - Grazie
- Sorry - Scusa
- Goodbye - Addio
Watch the video below for these simple Italian phrases that we will be using at school throughout the term as well as how to count to ten.
Our language of the Spring 1 half term 2017 was Urdu, pupils were encouraged to use simple Urdu phrases and greetings throughout the half term.
- Subha bakhair - Good morning
- Assalam alaykum- Hello
- Ap ka nam kya hai - What is your name?
- Mera nam ... hai - My name is
- Jee Haan - Yes
- Nahin - No
- Barai mehrbani - Please
- Shukriya - Thank you
- Maaf kijiye - Sorry
- Khuda hafiz - Goodbye
Watch the video below for some simple Urdu phrases we will be using at school throughout the term as well as how to count to ten.
Our Language of the Autumn 2 Half Term 2017 was Russian. We encouraged pupils to use simple Russian phrases. For Example...
- Dobroye utro - Good morning
- Spasibo- Thank you
- Dasvidaniya - Goodbye
Watch the video below for some of the simple Russian phrases used throughout the term.