September 2021 Newsletter
Keep up to date with news from across both sites and upcoming events with our monthly newsletters.
A very warm welcome back to all our returning families and those who are joining us this term. We are delighted to re-open to all our pupils and trust that you are keeping well.
sadly, COVID-19 has not disappeared from the UK and we must remain vigilant and continue to play our part in restricting its spread
if you or your child feel unwell with COVID-19 symptoms, do not come to school but inform the office, take a PCR test and wait for the results
you are encouraged to have the vaccine if you are eligible
School rules reminders
The school Risk Assessment is on the website. If you require more information, please call the office. A few clarifications:
- the school will not be carrying out COVID tests on pupils as that is the responsibility of parents and carers
- all school staff have twice weekly COVID tests
- hygiene routines such as handwashing and good ventilation continue to be promoted at school
- pupils should bring in their own labelled water bottle
- pupils are no longer in bubbles currently, and, if a pupil tests positive, the rest of the class will not be required to self-isolate
- parents and carers are encouraged to regularly test their children (Regular Rapid Testing) using a Lateral Flow Device, which are freely available in pharmacies and from the NHS.
We are continuing to work with families and pupils in the promotion of a healthy diet. One area we have been recommended to follow by the Department of Health is the reduction of sugar in children’s diets. In light of this, it is school policy to allow pupils to have only plain water with their packed lunches. Please do not send in smoothies, yoghurt drinks or squash. The school provides water or milk for all pupils.
We are very pleased to inform you that the dispute regarding the management re-structure that disrupted the summer term has been resolved. The parties involved discussed the issues at length during the summer and were able to agree on a plan that is in the best long-term interests of the whole Valence community. Thank you for your patience.
Celebrating effort, good behaviour and hard work
At Valence, we place a high value on developing children’s sense of worth and self-esteem. We love to celebrate both effort and achievement in academic and social settings. We have an approach where we support pupils to Go for Gold based on the following school rules:
- Listen to and co-operate with each other.
- Follow adults’ instructions.
- Treat everyone with politeness, kindness, courtesy and respect.
- Work to the best of our ability.
- Move safely and calmly around school.
- Respect our school environment.
Children who consistently follow the school rules, who set a positive example for others to follow and who demonstrate a positive attitude to others can achieve a GOLD reward.
Home – school communication
We are using Class Dojo for communicating with parents & carers. Your child’s class teacher will invite you to join the class forum.
At Valence St. George’s we are participating in a scheme to reduce traffic around the school. Essentially, this is designed to improve the environment and reduce pollution for the children. This will have an impact on where cars will be able to drive in the mornings and afternoons. We will inform you when the scheme starts officially.
Collecting your child
Please ensure that the class teacher is fully aware of the adults whom you have designated to collect your child. If there is a change, please call the office asap.
In a change from previous years, pupils will be asked to wear a PE shirt that is the colour of their sports house. This will help the children identify more closely with their teammates.
We continue to teach a broad and balanced curriculum with a key focus on developing maths and literacy skills alongside science, history, geography, art, design and technology, and sport. We also deliver PSHE (Personal, Social, Health and Economic) lessons, which are designed to support pupils with their emotional and mindful development.
You can download our newsletter as a PDF below.