Remote Learning Plan
Keep up to date with details on our school closure and Remote Learning Plans for EYFS and Years 1 to 6.
As you are now aware, the government has directed schools to close for the majority of pupils on Friday. Today we are clarifying who the vulnerable pupils are and who the children of key workers are, as schools have been asked to remain open for these children. More information will follow on this issue.
In order to support learning at home, we have been preparing to support pupils in a number of ways:
- pupils in years 1-6 have been given a log-in to Google Classroom and the class teacher will place daily tasks in the class folder for the pupils to complete;
- pupils can use their log-ins to continue access learning through Oddizzi, Espresso and Times Tables Rockstars;
- we have identified educational sites that are offering free temporary access to their resources (Collins, Twinkl);
- pupils in Nursery and Reception will be given a weekly list of suggested activities via the school website.
Year 1 to 6
Google Classroom is a preferable alternative to making up packs of worksheets for several reasons:
- the class teacher can view the completed work, acknowledge it and respond to it;
- the work set can include videos, pictures, sound clips, which will make the work more interesting;
- work can be set on an ongoing basis;
- pupils can direct questions to the class teacher.
We expect teachers to set an appropriate amount of work, about three pieces of work per day. This may include a reading activity, a maths task, a literacy activity and a topic activity. Teachers can monitor the work completed and will adjust the tasks appropriately.
We readily acknowledge that this is a new way of teaching and learning that is unfamiliar to pupils and teachers. Please bear with us as we learn new skills too. We will endeavour to make this function as smoothly as possible. More specific information will follow in the coming days.
We are also aware that connection to the internet and access to technology is not the same for all our families. Whilst it is better to access Google Classroom on a computer or tablet, access via a mobile phone is still worthwhile.
Nursery & Reception
In Early Years, the focus for the children’s learning is different to other year groups, therefore we will be supporting this using a different process.
Each week, a PowerPoint of activities will be uploaded to the school website, (www.valenceprimaryschool.com) with ideas for Literacy, Maths, Creative/Physical Development and Understanding the World. An email will be sent out to you via Parent Mail when these activities are available to view.
We ask that you use these activities to support your child’s home learning and if you wish, you could take photos of these or keep a scrapbook of your favourites to share when your child returns to school.
In addition to this, we will be running a competition for all children, to encourage their love of reading. We are asking that children keep a list of all the story books, comics or magazines that they read with you during the closure period. They can bring these lists back to school when we return and will receive a certificate of participation.
It is really vital that the children are hearing stories EVERY day. If they have a reading book, please also take 5 minutes a day to hear them read this.
Remote Learning Hub
Our Remote Learning Hub is now open, you can access this via the Children sub-menu, via the link on the home page and the link below.
We are aiming to get login details to those who do not have them as quickly as possible.