December 2019 Newsletter
Keep up to date with news and events at Valence with our monthly Newsletters.
As you know, we have introduced a new approach to homework. At the start of each half term, pupils are given a variety of tasks to complete. Some are practical, some are to improve memorisation, some are to practise certain skills, and we hope that all are enjoyable. Thank you, parents and carers, for taking the time to help your child complete the different tasks. Our hope is that, in working together on these tasks, you find that you are discussing the challenges involved and thereby developing your child’s speaking and listening skills.
Request for donations
If you have any good quality board games that your children no longer play, we would love to give them a home. They are particularly useful during wet playtimes. Drop them off at the office please.
- No smoking by the school gates.
- After-school clubs finish on Friday 6th December.
- Please clear all dinner money fees on Parentmail by the end of the term.
- Once again, please do not park or stop across our neighbours’ driveways. It is inconsiderate and can prevent our neighbours from leaving for work. This is becoming a problem on Halbutt Street at the St. George’s site.
- As we are trying to promote a healthy lifestyle, please do not send in boxes of sweets or chocolates for special occasions such as birthdays.
Christmas hamper raffle
Fancy a big basket of Christmas goodies? Enter the raffle to win the Christmas hamper. Tickets are on sale in the office.
If you want a place for your child to start in Reception in September 2020, apply online by 15th January.
We will be organising a concert and afternoon tea for local Senior Citizens. Everybody loves a raffle, so please send in donations of quality prizes that we can share with them.
These are for pupils in years 3 – 6. Parents are welcome to come and stay, as we are providing refreshments and a quiet place to chat and relax with your friends, whilst the children have a lovely time. If you would like to help set up and/or tidy up, let the office know.
- Bonham 5.00 pm – 6.00 pm Wednesday 4th December
- St. George’s 5.00 pm – 6.00 pm Thursday 5th December
Tickets are on sale in the office or on Parentmail. (There are limited tickets available).
The Book Fair total was over £1200. We are so excited to see money being spent on books for the pupils. As a result of your purchases, the school will be able to acquire a large selection of books for the library.
At times, there are incidents that arise between pupils and, naturally, parents are very eager to sort them out. Please report any concerns you have to a senior member of staff, as we have the opportunity to fully investigate and speak to everyone involved. This can be carried out discreetly and away from the open forum of the playground.
10. Come and help us
If you would like to volunteer at school, please give your name to the offices. It may be that you can help in class with your cooking, art, design or creative skills. Or, if you would like to hear pupils read, this is a great help to those children who need a little extra adult time.
- Wednesday 11th December Christmas lunch / Christmas jumpers 3.15 pm Carols @ Bonham 3.15 pm Carols @ St. George’s (Nursery – Year 2)
- Thursday 12th December 3.15 pm Carols @ St. George’s (Year 3 - 6)
- Tuesday 17th December Class parties / non-uniform day Last day for Nursery pupils
- Wednesday 18th December 2.00 pm School closes for Christmas holidays
- Monday 6th January 8.45 am School re-opens
You can download our December 2019 Newsletter as a PDF below.